Wednesday 30 July 2014

Tool Chest - Hardware

My hardware choice for handles on this chest will match the other existing chest, I used black cast iron handles from Lee Valley.  The only downside with this hardware is that it comes with mounting screws which are far too long for my use.  I haven’t put the handles onto a chest with sides which are 1.25” thick yet so I always have to shorten the screws by 3/8” to 1/2". 

Marking the Centerpoints for the Handle Mounting Screws

Mounting Screws in Need of a Trim

Side Handles Test Fit



After reattaching the drawer fronts I installed the drawer pulls.  I used ring pulls to match the other component which has already been built.  I drilled a hole a little larger than the width of the prongs but a little smaller than the diagonal.  This keeps the pulls from moving around too much during installation and avoids slop in the fitting.  I bent the tines back with an old ruler and a pair of needle nose pliers and clinched them into the back of the drawer front with a small hammer. 


Drill Bit Slightly Under Diagonal Measurement of Tines

Tine Bent and Ready to be Hammered into Place


If the ring pull needs to be installed to close to the top of the drawer to allow both tines to spread out normally the top one is twisted 90 degrees.  I have tried cutting the tine short in the past and this is a much better option.  

Installation in Tall Drawers

Installation in Short Drawers


With all the hardware installed and the drawers replaced the chest is done and ready to be loaded with tools.



Left Side

Right Side
  
Back
 
The New Chest Component Ready for Pairing

The Pre-existing Cabinet Component

Paired up and Ready to Work


No comments:

Post a Comment