When the edging was applied it was about 1/32" wider then the panels, this is to allow for flush sanding with the panels. When this has been completed I was ready to apply the veneer. For this project the veneer is applied to one side at a time so that the vacuum bag doesn't have the chance to break and splinter and overhanging veneer which would otherwise be on the top surface. The bottom is veneered, trimmed flush and then the panel is flipped and the top is veneered.
|Pressing the Veneer on bottom of the Panels|
On the first round of pressing veneer I made a mistake and formed a few long bubbles in the veneer which needed repair. The process I used was to moisten and heat the veneer/glue which allows the glue to release and the veneer to be pressed flat manually. The glue can then bond to the newly flattened veneer.
|A Bubble Ridge in the Veneer in Need of Repair|
|Paper Towel with Water|
|Ironing the Papertowel to Add Steam to the Bubble|
|Using the Iron as a Hot Veneer Hammer to Reactivate and Bond the Glue|
|Bubble - Before|
|Bubble - After|
|The First Panels Veneered on Both Sides are Ready to Go|
|Pressing the Center Star|
After pressing all the veneers I took all the panels over to my friend Dave's house to use his stroke sander. This quickly surfaced all the panels to 180 grit leaving only to finish sand the veneer surfaces, hand sand the edges and break the edges. While at Dave's he suggested we spread out the parts on the driveway to have a look and see how things will look when completed. Keeping in mind that there still needs to be a finish sanding done and then lacquer applied we were pretty excited.
|Full Size Table|
|Full Size Table With Some Gaps to See the Parts Better|
|Center Star in the Sun|