Wednesday 23 July 2014

Tool Chest - Assembly


With the panels prepped and ready to go it is time for glue up.  The sequence of events is no different than for a smaller dovetail box or drawer but due to the size I have to move quickly to stay ahead of the set up time for standard wood glue.  I use a small stick and apply glue to all surfaces in the joint on both pieces; press fit the joints and then hammer away with a block and mallet. 

Wide Boards are Double Clamped for Security When Assembling

Block and Mallet get Almost All the Work Done


These joints were quite snug and I ended up needing to put a pipe clamp onto each tail individually to drive them home. 

Pipe Clamps Bring it Home


With the first two joints done I was able to add in the ship lap back which was ¼” thick.  Sometime after cutting the dovetails I had routed a slot along the back of all the pieces to put the back in. 


The Carcase is Half Way Assembled

 
Ship Lap Panels in the Back



With the back panels in place I glued in the second side piece of the cabinet, it went in smoothly with hammering and clamping just like the previous joints.  

I left the dovetails a little shy of flush with the carcase sides, I wish I could say this was for a very good reason and intentional, but it seems I set my marking gauge a touch shy of optimal.  Which is too bad because the joints went together really well and now I have to spend some time bringing the sides flush down to the joints.  The first step to this was to traverse (plane sideways to the grain), this is a much quicker way to remove stock as the wood fibers tear more readily this way and a deeper cut is possible.  The next step was to plane with the grain, this is important for two reasons; the cris- cross pattern of the two techniques means that any small ridges left from the traversing are smoothed out.  It also leaves a much nicer surface behind than traversing.  

Traversing

Planing With the Grain
The case is now nicely squared up and ready to make and install the drawers and hardware. 










No comments:

Post a Comment