Sunday 3 March 2013

Tree Table and Chair

Progress on the chair and desk has seemed a little slow lately, this is largely because so much sanding and shaping was required on the carvings of the trees for the table.  The carved trees wrap around the entire perimeter of the table, there are 7 on the front and back and 3 on each side.  Totaling 20 trees on the table which required enough time that I could have watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy three times though.  There really wasn't much to explain in it other than it just takes lots of sand paper and sore fingers. 

Quite a bit of time also went into finessing the fit of the chair back to the legs.  It was secured with 1/4" steel rod which extends 5" into the legs and 1 3/4" into the chair back.  I've given the chair a good test sit with a slight lean and all seems to be well thus far. 

Table and Chair together for the First Time
Closeup of the Carved Trees

Once the final sanding and looking over of the chair and desk was completed I took the pieces over to the spray booth were I have applied a lacquer.  This was my first time to use a spray finish and while I have been taking my time I seem to be getting acceptable results.  I can't offer any tips and tricks as I am still learning how to do it.  I'd say thus far that it is coming out good, but not great.  Still have much to learn. 

The Chair in the Spray Booth

Hopefully, I will be able to  make the slip seat for this chair shortly and then put this project to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment